Reference Textbooks : Listing great textbooks and where to get them!
- Many of us are unfortunate to have been subjected to poorly written or constructed textbooks, or textbooks which are pitched at a different level to that where you are.
- Fortunately, there are very many excellent textbooks out there and this page is dedicated to listing those textbooks which I have found to be useful. If you have a book or books which you feel are worthy of inclusion, then please feel free to suggest them via Facebook.
- Textbooks are quite an expensive purchase, however a great textbook is less of a purchase and more of an investment. I was advised in the past by Professor Emeritus Frank Imbusch of NUI Galway that a library of excellent textbooks is a significant asset. Personally I think that a good library is almost worth its (significant) weight in gold!
- Visit http://www.abebooks.com/ for very affordable physics textbooks. (It’s less useful for other subjects; but luck plays a part of course!)
- Solutions manuals are hard to come by as a student (because of cheating I suppose), however in my opinion they are an indispensable resource. I recommend getting the solutions manuals to all of your textbooks. This will mean that you’ll always have step by step derivations etc., as you need them.